• Faecal stools or rectal swab
Procedure for taking rectal swab
• Moisten swab by inserting into media at bottom of container.
• Carefully insert the swab into the rectum to a depth of approximately 1.5 - 2 cm
• Gently rotate the swab, ensuring some faecal matter is collected.
• Remove the swab and insert it back into the container – label container.
• Send the specimens to Microbiology with the request form correctly completed. (see sample of microbiology form for ESBL/VRE on page 19 and 20) ESBL results will generally be available in two to three days.
Mon - Sun, 0800 - 2400
Chromogenic culture media